Wednesday, 17 November 2021

Colour Plunge Collage!

 I've been working on challenge 5 - Colour Plunge - in Randel Plowman's Collage Workbook this week and the prompt is to make a (mostly) monochromatic collage.  I couldn't decide on which colour so ended up doing several and will probably do some more as I'm enjoying these a lot!


Just as I was about to pack up and tidy everything away yesterday evening I remembered to take a desk shot - several things are out of shot so it's actually messier than it looks - add a pair of scissors, a steel rule and another two punches!   

I am linking up with Julia over at WOYWW this week.

Wednesday, 10 November 2021

Colour Charge Collage!

I'm still working my way through Randel Plowman's Collage Workbook and challenge 4 is called Colour Charge   - add a colour to a black and white collage. 
 For this collage I used Fluid Acrylic in my favourite colour of Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold.

Piled up by my desk are a bundle of old magazines a very thoughtful friend has been passing on to me, so today's task will be be browsing through them for images for my next collages.  Looks like a cosy day indoors as it's raining, so tidying up the garden is off the agenda at the moment - can't say I'm too upset!

I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW

Wednesday, 3 November 2021

Collage - Black to White

 I'm continuing my collage journey and using prompts from Randel Plowman's The Collage Workbook.  
Challenge 3 is using shades of black to white.  I collected so many scraps I had more than enough to make two collages, although I think I prefer the top one.

I also made another white collage (you can see my previous white collage here).
I made it alongside last week's white collage but it really wasn't working for me. So before finally binning it I played around with it and added some buttons and somehow it seemed to work and bring it all together. 

And finally, I printed off some textures for a future collage and this is how my desk looked last night.  I grabbed a quick photo before tackling the roller and glass plate - the one job I don't like doing when I've been printing!

I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW this week.

Wednesday, 27 October 2021


I have been on a mission to read some of my many art and craft books and take inspiration from them!   So I have recently been making collages following the prompts from the Collage Workbook by Randel Plowman.  
These four were my first challenge - to make some small 5 minute collages. 
I used some old wine labels as the starting point and was very careful to stop when I reached the allotted time.  This was difficult to do given my propensity for  often over egging the creative cake!  


The second challenge was to make a collage using layers of white (no time limits any more I'm glad to say).
 I'm not sure if it's finished but I feel if I add anything more I'll regret it!

And a shot of an unusually (for me) very untidy desk - collage scraps are currently scattered everywhere - they are usually stored in folders depending on colour or subject, but they have got a little out of control!  And I have treated myself to three new soft rubber brayers - they are homeless at the moment so a little bit of re-arranging is needed to squeeze them into a drawer somewhere!

I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW

Saturday, 23 October 2021

Cyanotype printing

 I have been busy collecting the last of the summer blooms and foliage from the garden, and preserving them for cyanotype printing by pressing them.  In contrast to my husband who is head vegetable gardener I am particularly thrilled with the leaves that have been half eaten by pests or struck with disease - the little holes and nibbled and curled bits add so much more to the print in my opinion!

These prints show Brambles, Raspberry leaves, weeds and Tamarisk, and the last two photos show the Tamarisk print before and after rinsing out.







Wednesday, 13 October 2021

5 Minute Collages and WOYWW

  This week I've been sorting through art and craft books - some need to go but I have a few that I am keen to read and use as inspiration, so to start me off I have been following the prompts in The Collage Workbook by Randel Plowman.  The first task was to make some 5 minute collages - quite difficult for me as I work very slowly!  However I gathered 'stuff' together - colours that are out of my comfort zone, ephemera that I don't know why I've been keeping, and washi tapes that haven't seen the light of day for years.  I gave myself 20 minutes to make all 4 rather than work on one at a time - I am half way through and should be able to  complete the other 10 minutes by the end of today!  

 I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW this week.


Wednesday, 22 September 2021

Making the Most of the Sunshine

 I have been meaning to get some Cyanotype printing done all summer to
replenish my stocks for collage and card making.  Yesterday it suddenly dawned on me as we head towards autumn that I ought to get on with it - the results are better when the sun is at it's highest and strongest, ideally the middle of a summer's day. 
My desk yesterday afternoon was the garden bench and the kitchen sink - I just remembered in time to take some photos!

Out in the sun 'cooking'!

  Foliage removed and ready to rinse

Just starting to turn blue in the bowl of water - the stripes are the shadows of the sun coming through the kitchen blinds!

I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW this week.

Wednesday, 1 September 2021

Card Making and WOYWW

 I've been missing in action for a couple of weeks - nothing interesting going on, just couldn't get myself together enough to craft and post!
However, I have made some cards recently and I also have some leftover backgrounds on my desk waiting to be used up.

I added some foil to a couple of the backgrounds here but it's difficult to see. 
I'm linking up with Julia over at WOYWW this week.